Watermelon Day is August 3rd! To celebrate this wonderful, healthy, summertime fruit, here is a fun way to make a watermelon painting without having to use a brush!
Published on July 28, 2020
Fun Watermelon Facts
- The first harvest of watermelon took place in Egypt some 5,000 years ago. There are records of this in form of hieroglyphs!
- Watermelons were put into the burial tombs of Pharaohs. It was believed by the Egyptians that the fruit would nourish them in their afterlife!
- There are over 1,200 different varieties of watermelons in the world. Green rind and red flesh is the most common form, but watermelon can be yellow, white, and orange as well!
- 92% of the total mass of a watermelon is water. This is one of the reasons why early explorers used to carry watermelons instead of carrying canteens.
- Watermelons can grow really big. The biggest and heaviest watermelon ever grown was 350.5 pounds!
Watermelon Sponge Art
- Paper or Canvas
- Acrylic or Tempera Paint (Pink or Red, Green, Black)
- 1 sponge cut to the shape of a triangle
- 1 sponge cut to the shape of a thin rectangle
- Trash Bag or Craft Paper
- Wet Wipes