Saturday, October 19 – Saturday, November 16
Rotating Children’s Museum Locations
Observe, Learn, Create! The Children’s Museum is celebrating artoberVA with its first Creative in Residence since 2000. On select dates between October 19 and November 16 guests will be able to work alongside Nastassja Swift as she leads wool-felting demonstrations and workshops. Don’t forget to join her on November 16 for the unveiling of a permanent installation that will be on display in the Art Studio at the Children’s Museum Downtown.
Observe: Guests will be able to observe Nastassja as she works on her installation for the Children’s Museum. There will also be limited materials available so that guests can explore with the textures Nastassja uses in her art however there will be no formal instruction during this time.
Learn: Guests will be able to experiment with wet and dry wool felting techniques as they help create a collaborative picture book.
Create: Guests will be able to learn how Nastassja’s process works while creating with wool and other textiles.
Schedule by Location
- Saturday, October 19 from 10am-12pm
- Wednesday, October 30 from 10am-2pm (break from 12:30pm-1:00pm)
- Wednesday, November 13 from 10am-2pm
- Saturday, November 16 from 10am-4pm (break from 12:30pm-1:00pm)
- Wednesday, October 23 from 10:00am-2:00pm
- Saturday, November 9 from 10:00am-4:00pm (break from 12:30pm-1:00pm)
- Saturday, October 26 from 10:00am-4:00pm (break from 12:30pm-1:00pm)
- Wednesday, November 6 from 10:00am-2:00pm
- Saturday, November 2 from 9:30am-2pm (break from 12:30pm-1:00pm)
- Friday, November 8 from 12:00pm-2:00pm
Installation Unveiling Celebration
On Saturday, November 16 the Children’s Museum will be unveiling the permanent installation that Nastassja Swift created over the course of her residency. This piece will be on display at the Children’s Museum Downtown in the Art Studio.
The celebration will feature meet & greets with Swift herself, textile dying workshops, dry and wet felting workshops, and more!
The unveiling is scheduled for 11:00am. Workshops will happen throughout the day between 10:00am-4:00pm and are included in the price of museum admission! As always, Member play free!