Q: Where can I donate?
A: While we are closed due to COVID-19 you can donate books at the Children’s Museum Downtown location Friday mornings. If this time does not work for you please email Krista Dawson.
Q: What books are needed?
A: All books should be new or like new! Children who live in under-resourced communities deserve high-quality books in great condition. We are currently looking for books that showcase diverse characters and bilingual books.
Q: What books are not accepted?
A: The Children’s Book Bank does not accept encyclopedias, school text books, books for adult readers, magazines, VHS tapes/dvds/cds or toys. Books may not be musty, damaged or written in.
Q: How do I host a book drive for the Children’s Book Bank?
A: The Children’s Book Bank thrives on the generosity of the community. We welcome you to host a book drive at your school, club, organization, faith group, office, scout event, book group, team event, party, etc. Here’s a checklist for hosting a book drive:
- Decide the scope (Friends and Family, Small Group, Whole Organization, etc.).
- Choose a date range: 1 – 2 weeks works well (3 weeks for larger groups and congregations).
- Or choose a single event (party, meeting, game, etc.).
- Set and advertise your goal. Challenges with other groups are fun!
- Decide where your books should be dropped off (your home, a common area in your organization…).
- Strategically place clearly labeled collection boxes as needed.
- Spread the word! Send our messages to friends, family and colleagues at the beginning and throughout your drive. Use e-mail, posters, flyers and social media to get the word out. Be creative!
- At the end of your drive, collect all donated books and place neatly in boxes with lids. While packing, feel free to discard any damaged, outdated or musty books.
- Deliver your books to either Children’s Museum location (Downtown or Short Pump).
- Complete a donation form online or in the lobby.