Q: Where can I donate?
A: Books can be dropped off at the Downtown location. Mondays are our primary drop off day but other arrangements may be made by contacting Peter Jolley
Q: What books are needed?
A: All books should be new or like new! Children who live in under-resourced communities deserve high-quality books in great condition. We are currently looking for books that showcase diverse characters and bilingual books.
Q: What books are not accepted?
A: The Children’s Book Bank does not accept encyclopedias, school text books, books for adult readers, magazines, VHS tapes/DVDs/CDs or toys. We are not able to accept books that are very old, musty, damaged, dirty or written in. Ask yourself if it is in good enough shape to be considered a “gift”.
Q: How do I host a book drive for the Children’s Book Bank?
A: The Children’s Book Bank thrives on the generosity of the community. We welcome you to host a book drive at your school, club, organization, faith group, office, scout event, book group, team event, party, etc. Here’s a checklist for hosting a book drive:
- Decide the scope (Friends and Family, Small Group, Whole Organization, etc.).
- Choose a date range: 1 – 2 weeks works well (3 weeks for larger groups and congregations).
- Or choose a single event (party, meeting, game, etc.).
- Set and advertise your goal. Challenges with other groups are fun!
- Decide where your books should be dropped off (your home, a common area in your organization…).
- Strategically place clearly labeled collection boxes as needed.
- Spread the word! Send our messages to friends, family and colleagues at the beginning and throughout your drive. Use e-mail, posters, flyers and social media to get the word out. Be creative!
- At the end of your drive, collect all donated books and place neatly in boxes with lids. While packing, feel free to discard any damaged, outdated or musty books.
- Count the number of books collected for the donation form.
- Deliver your books to the loading dock at the Downtown Children’s Museum location or coordinate with Peter if an alternative is needed.
- Complete a donation form online or ask for one when you deliver the books.