Volunteers make a difference!
Along with the joy and fulfillment that comes from helping children learn, our volunteers enjoy professional skill development and work experience.
For Art Studio Assistant and Exhibit Buddy positions, we can accept volunteers at either location, Tuesday-Sunday 9:30am-5pm. Field Trip Prep is only available Downtown on weekdays. Special Events have specific dates/times throughout the year.
- ART STUDIO ASSISTANT: Help children make great projects in our Art Studio! Assist the Art Studio Coordinator in daily duties. Organize craft supplies, create displays, and maintain a clean and safe working space in the Art Studio.
- EXHIBIT BUDDY: Interact with guests in the exhibit spaces. Show children how the exhibits work and give ideas for play. Responsible for helping keep the exhibit spaces organized and safe. Supervise children playing and pick up throughout your shift.
- FIELD TRIP PREP: Assist the education team with preparing takeaways for various field trips. This is very heavy on cutting, folding, and sorting materials.
- SPECIAL EVENTS: Throughout the year, the Children’s Museum of Richmond has special events or themed days. Volunteers may be asked to run various activities, special crafts or games, etc. Volunteers must be flexible to assignments on these days.
Who Can Volunteer?
Junior Volunteers: Students as young as 14 are welcome to volunteer at the Museum.
Adult Volunteers: Volunteers 18 and up.
Family Volunteers: Children 11 and up are welcome to volunteer at the Museum with an adult.
Group Volunteers: Is your group looking for a community service opportunity? We invite your corporate, business, or community groups to volunteer for half day or full day projects. All group members must be at least 14 years old.
Skill-Based Volunteers: Are you a professional or retired professional looking to give back to your community? The Children’s Museum is looking for skills-based volunteers to utilize their talents and make a difference in the lives of the children that we serve.
Please note, we do not allow court-ordered service.
- All volunteers must go through an orientation (to be scheduled upon review of your application)
- Volunteers 18 and older must pass a background check
New volunteers can click on the button below to fill out a volunteer application on our GivePulse profile. Once on the GivePulse page, click the “Join” button which is overlayed in the righthand corner of the cover photo (see photo below for reference). You will need to create an account – once you are an approved volunteer, you will use this account to sign up for shifts.
Your application will be reviewed by the Volunteer Manager, who will follow up with next steps.