Due to the generosity of our sponsors and donors The Children’s Museum continues to provide field trips and visits for the children of Central Virginia at a free or reduced cost to them.
Who should apply?
Scholarship funds are available to any school, organization, or group that demonstrates need and wants to visit Children’s Museum Downtown (Richmond), Chesterfield, or Fredericksburg. The fund is designed for under-resourced groups who have 40% or more students qualifying for free/reduced lunch. With a scholarship, a group may attend an educator-led program and stay for unlimited free play on the museum floor! Scholarship discount level is determined based on need.
- A minimum of 10 students is required for an educator-led program
- It is required that you bring a ratio of 1 adult for every 5 children for a visit to the museum
- Extra adults beyond the ratio (1:5) be charged the approved scholarship discount or a minimum of $3/person
- For example: If the scholarship is $0/child, extra adults will cost $3/person; otherwise they are at the same rate as the children
- Scholarship funds do not cover travel expenses, and cannot be combined with any other discount offers
- Applications must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to your visit; All future visits must be booked 2 weeks in advance
- Only one application per grade level, per school is necessary. Submitted applications will remain active for the current school year
- Each class covered under the scholarship can visit at their approved scholarship level only once. Any additional visits will increase by $3/child each time, not to exceed $9/child
- MUST provide EVIDENCE OF NEED document/letter
- NOTE: A $50 cancellation fee will apply to any group that cancels within two weeks of their scheduled field trip
What does the application require?
On the application we ask that groups please attach an official document/letter with the application that serves as evidence of need.
- Schools – a signed statement on school letterhead that lists the percentage of children on free/reduced lunch services
- Non-Profit Organizations –number of students served, and a copy of your scholarship policy with the % of children on scholarship and your IRS 990. If you do not have a 990, please provide number of children served, sources of income (tuition, subsidy, grants, contribution or other) and your scholarship policy with % children on scholarship
- Private Schools/Organizations/Centers –number of children served, sources of income (tuition, subsidy, grants, contribution or other) and your scholarship policy with % children on scholarship or an official statement of government assistance.
- Head Start/ VPI– a signed statement from your regional coordinator that identifies your group’s budget for field trips and maximum family income for student participation in program
How soon will I hear back?
We ask that groups submit an application at least 3 weeks prior to the anticipated visit. The Education department typically sends an email confirming a group’s scholarship rate within 1 week, when all necessary documents have been submitted. Please note that completion of the scholarship application does not constitute a confirmed reservation. Museum visits must be scheduled separately through submission of a Field Trip Reservation Request Form. A group can submit the scholarship application prior to or following submission of the Field Trip Reservation Request Form.
How many times can I visit?
All groups are able to visit one time at the scholarship rate awarded to them. If you would like to book an additional visit, the rate will increase an additional $3 per child, with a maximum cost of $9 per child. Teachers and chaperones required for the 1:5 ratio are always free. Any additional adults will be at the scholarship rate, unless students were free, then the extra adults will be admitted at $3/person.