A: You can donate books at the Children's Museum locations: Downtown, Short Pump, Chesterfield and Fredericksburg.
A: Books should be new or like new. Children who live in under-resourced communities deserve high-quality books. Board books, picture books, early chapter books and books in Spanish are greatly needed.
A: The Children's Book Bank does not accept encyclopedias, school text books, books for adult readers, magazines, vhs tapes/dvds/cds or toys. Books may not be musty, damaged or written in.
A: The Children's Book Bank thrives on the generosity of the community. We welcome you to host a book drive at your school, club, organization, faith group, office, scout event, book group, team event, party, etc. Here's a checklist for hosting a book drive:
- Decide the scope (Friends and Family, Small Group, Whole Organization, etc.)
- Choose a date range: 1 - 2 weeks works well (3 weeks for larger groups and congregations)
- Or choose a single event (party, meeting, game, etc.)
- Set and advertise your goal. Challenges with other groups are fun!
- Decide where your books should be dropped off (your home, a common area in your organization...)
- Strategically place clearly labeled collection boxes as needed
- Spread the word! Send our messages to friends, family and colleagues at the beginning and throughout your drive. Use e-mail, posters, flyers and social media to get the word out. Be creative!
- At the end of your drive, collect all donated books and place neatly in boxes with lids. While packing, feel free to discard any damaged, outdated or musty books
- Deliver your books to either Children's Museum location (Downtown or Short Pump)
- Complete a donation form online or in the lobby